Dec 16, 2008

Good guy, bad guy

From young, we observe the media and fairy tale stories on how they depict good and bad characters. Most of them have something to learn, which in general, is to push you towards being a good person. Always lingering on my mind is that most humans lie, one way or the other, and ironically, for good reasons sometimes. Makes me wonder, what really entails being good...

As I grow older, many shows start to blur this good-guy-bad-guy line. Bad guys often have 'legitimate' reasons to commit whatever that is socially wrong, even though sometimes the playwright (or author) seems to go all out to ensure that viewers sympathize the bad guys for their tragedy, and even support their cause for wrongdoing. While then again, good guys always kill for a good reason. A group of good guys working together to kill some evil monster is teamwork, a group of bad guys forming to ambush a good guy is outnumbering and despicable (taken out of content).

Reverting back to real life, again I wonder. Does anyone really set out to be a bad guy? Ok, maybe those that feel that good guys die fast, they might try to be THE bad guy. But lets talk about normal sane people here. Do you want to be the BAD guy? What is considered bad? Isn't it too general to say someone is bad just because of a single incident? I reckon most people love their children, including crooks (some steal to feed their children in immensely undesirable times, which is like maybe now). Again, what is bad? Or, I should ask this: what is good?

I conclude (not with an answer) with this. I remember this phrase (I can't say its from where, but most males in my country should know this phrase) which goes like this, "Everything is allowed, if you are not caught." Amazing, isn't it? What if you have been selling drugs for the past 20 years, and you retire into your rich Cameron Island resort-like housing. I know I will not do that (sell drugs), because my conscience can't take it that I'm making a living killing people. Well.. maybe I will never know what is right or wrong, good or bad. I can know what is legal or not (to not get into trouble). Most importantly, I think is this. I know what my conscience can take. It might still be a long way to my deathbed (I seriously hope so), but when I'm there, I hope that I can leave with a clear conscience. I know my conscience, and I will do anything to ensure that I keep it clear. I think if I can do that, this is enough for me...

No comments: